feedlot nutritionist boot camp
August 8th – 12th, 2022
The Boot Camp is a weeklong educational event for graduate students that occurs every two years (even years).
BOOT CAMP INFORMATION
The 2022 Plains Nutrition Council Feedlot Nutritionist Boot Camp will be held the week of August 8th – 12th in Canyon, TX.
The next Boot Camp will be held in 2024.
Graduate students working on Ph.D. or M.S. degrees in Feedlot Nutrition or a related field.
Lodging and meal expenses of program participants are covered by the Plains Nutrition Council, which is made possible due to the organization’s industry sponsors. Program participants are responsible for covering the cost of transportation to and from the hotel in Canyon, TX.
The Plains Nutrition Council Feedlot Nutritionist Boot Camp was first established by Drs. Chris Reinhardt and Mike Hubbert in 2012 to provide graduate students with valuable experiences that better prepare them for careers in the cattle feeding industry. While this program has evolved over the past decade, it remains true to its initial objectives. The program is currently organized by Drs. Kendall Samuelson (West Texas A&M University), Kristin Hales (Texas Tech University), and Jason Smith (Texas A&M AgriLife Extension). Held every other year, this week-long program brings in the industry’s finest to discuss the following aspects of feedlot nutrition, operations, and management:
- Ration and supplement formulation
- Feed delivery strategies and intake management
- Feed manufacturing and grain processing
- Process controls
- Nutrients, drugs, and feed additives
- Feedyard facilities, pen maintenance, and environmental protection
- Data management, analysis, and decision-making
- Health and nutrition interactions
- Cattle procurement and marketing
- Career opportunities, and transitioning from academia to the cattle feeding industry